We women are constantly bombarded with conflicting fashion advice and the double denim trend is no stranger to such notions. Known as one of history’s trickiest and most controversial trends, double denim can either look totally on-trend or end up being a massive style flop. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, allow me to elaborate. Double denim is generally known as the pairing of a denim shirt or jacket with denim jeans, shorts or a skirt. Think of it as a marmite trend if you will – you either love it or hate it.
In the past, many of us have resisted the urge to sport the look, out of fear of getting it so wrong. However, this may be surprising as the majority of us have all of the necessary components hanging in our wardrobes. What’s more, it’s actually a very accessible style to rock, as it doesn’t require any of the physical perfection deemed necessary for other trends such as bodycon dresses or wet-look leggings, both of which have been embraced wholeheartedly by women of all ages.
There are however, some rules to bear in mind when you decide to channel the double denim trend.
- Contrast colour: One piece should be a much darker shade of denim. A good example is wearing dark skinny jeans to give your bottom half a slimmer silhouette and pairing them with a pale washed denim shirt. You can also break up the denim a bit by layering a baggy shirt over a white vest top.
- Team with something feminine: Break up the bold and heavy denim look with an ultra-feminine piece such as a gorgeous handbag or a pair of sparkly dangly earrings. You could also wear the shirt open to show off a pretty camisole top.
- Roll up sleeves: Whether you roll them backor push them up, make sure your sleeves are worn shorter. Highlight bare wrists with a bracelet or statement cocktail ring to emphasise femininity.
- Cowboy boots are a big no-no: Unless you want to look like an extra from an old fashioned western, steer clear of cowboy boots. Choose dainty ballet flats or pretty sandals to offset the look.
Like it or loathe it, the double denim trend has made a huge comeback and can be seen on catwalks everywhere. Team your double denim outfit with an eye-popping bright accessory such as a pair of coloured heels or bright wedge trainers, brightly painted nails or an eye-catching bold lip colour.
Here are five ways you can rock the double denim look well today:
- Light-wash denim shirt paired with white jeans and brown chunky shoe boots. Keep shirt sleeves rolled back and opt for a slouchy style shirt or cut off shirt with fitted jeans.
- Blue denim jacket, white t-shirt and black skinny jeans. Petite ladies look great with a cropped denim jacket and three quarter length sleeves. Add heels for extra leg length or ballet flats for daytime glamour.
- Flared jeans, fitted denim shirt and a brightly coloured scarf to offset all the denim.
- Black skinny jeans with a pale washed denim shirt to give a high contrast and keep the look crisp and clean. Wear the shirt open over a vest top for daytime.
- Ankle length pinstriped jeans, bright top and denim jacket. Roll the hem up on jeans and bare ankles for an updated trend.
Guest post contributed by Lauren Jones, a 26 year old University graduate & full-time fashion blogger. Currently looking towards the US launch of MissguidedUS.com