Of all the rooms in the home, the kitchen tends to yield the best return on investment. In that spirit, this segment of Ask The Expert features Denise McIntosh of Genesis Kitchens & Design. Keep reading for the highlights.
Q: How do I get started on my kitchen renovation?
1. Start with an idea file, whether that’s an online file or a physical file where you’ve cut out pictures from magazines and brochures. Use your idea file to hone in on colors, styles, appliances, and kitchen features that you like. Keep in mind how you plan to use your space because letting your designer know that will help her personalize it just for you.
2. Hiring a professional kitchen designer to help guide you through the process is an absolute must. Your designer should give you a preliminary design, show you color options, materials available, and price points.
3. Select your appliances early on, because your layout will be dependent on the appliances you choose.
4. Once you have a plan in place, you can start the process of selecting a contractor to execute on the renovation work. They will need a copy of the plans and the specifications in order to give you an accurate quote.
5. Cabinets have the longest wait time, so focus on getting your cabinet order in, and then you can move on to selecting your countertops, handles and hardware, backsplash, tiles, and all the finishing touches to make your kitchen beautiful.