Published on October 31, 2018 by Marc & Mandy

In this segment of The Marc and Mandy Show: Ask The Expert, Celebrity Designer Christine Da Costa answers viewer questions regarding renovation planning. This episode was brought to you by Architalcan Design. Keep reading for the expert approved Q & A.


Q: I want to build a large addition onto my home. What do I need to know before I start.

A: First, you need to make sure you have a current property survey. Any exterior work, such as an addition, will need a site plan to show all the distances from the proposed property addition to the property line in order for you to comply with all the zoning bylaws. For example, GFA, coverage, and setbacks.


Q: What does an architectural package include?

A: An architectural package is an accurate measurement of the existing house. Basically, it’s an elaboration of the architectural drawings, whether it’s existing or proposed. And finally, it shows the structural and HVAC regulations needed to apply for that ever-important building permit. 


Q: What if my addition doesn’t comply with the zoning bylaws?

A: If it doesn’t comply, you will need to go a Committee of Adjustment to seek approval for the items that don’t comply. A zoning consultant or a municipal planner from the city that you live in will work closely with you to help you get the number of variances approved that you require to build that addition that you really want.


This episode was brought to you by Architalcan Design.



1 comment

Add your comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.