Creating the ultimate deck is a tall order, but far from impossible. In this episode of The Marc and Mandy Show, Holly Nimens chats with Joey Fletcher of BroLaws Construction and tours a gorgeous deck with unique touches by Regal Ideas.
The Design Vision:
The clients in this case wanted to invest in their backyard space. As is the thought process for many home dwellers these days, the clients wanted to create a vacation-esq escape that was comparable to going to the cottage.
- The focal point of the deck is a stone wall, which acts as an accent wall in the space.
- The stone wall encompassing a metal art feature and a fire feature, which really draws you into the backyard.
- The clients opted for a fire feature in the backyard because it adds a communal draw for the family and guests.
- The days of a deck just being a big square box are done; as such, this deck encompasses various levels, meant for various functionality. One area is for cooking, one area is for dining, and another area is for lounging.
- Lighting is something that has become big in the decking world as well. This deck features stair lighting, a light-up stair railing, and accent lighting on all the big timbers. These various lighting features make the outdoor space more inviting in the evening.
- Contrary to common belief, not all decks require railings. If your deck is under two feet, you are not required to have a railing system in place for safety reasons. In this case, the deck is well over two feet, so railing has been included. That said, the crystal railing, courtesy of Regal Ideas, here serves much more than a practical purpose and has a decorative element to it as well.
- Shade is another important element of a deck. In this case, shade is provided by a large timber roof, which also serves a focal point in the space.
For all your speciality railing and aluminum siding needs, visit the Regal Ideas website. To learn more about deck renovation services offered in the GTA and Durham Region, check out BroLaws Construction.