If you’re a sucker for second-hand, you’ve come to the right place! In this special fashion-themed episode of The Marc and Mandy Show, Katie Naples from shares thrifty shopping tips.
- Know your preferences. If you walk into a store and are overwhelmed by the stock, narrow down your choices based on color. You can narrow it down further by identifying what materials stand out to you as well.
- Don’t have expectations. Thrift shopping is far from an exact science. Going in with an open mind will ensure you don’t leave disappointed.
- Start with accessories and shoes. Perusing accessories and shoes is a great place to start when shopping second-hand. Shopping these items first will also ensure you don’t forget about them after you’ve done your clothes shopping.
- Shop frequently. If you shop frequently and ahead of the season, there’s more of a chance you’ll find something rare and unique. Thrift items are truly one of kind, so snagging something special sometimes boils down to persistence.
- Make a list. Thrifting is not so unlike going to the grocery store. You should go in with a plan of what you need so you don’t forget anything. Before you thrift, make a physical list or a list on your smartphone.
- Dress like it’s boxing day. Depending on where you’re thrifting, you may not have access to a dressing room. Even there are rooms available, the lineups might be long. Get ahead of this by dressing in something formfitting, such as biker shorts or leggings. This way, if there aren’t fitting rooms available, you can simply try your finds on over top of your clothes.
- Sell your old clothes. Consignment stores in particular will have the option for you to sell your gently worn items in return for shopping credit. This is a great way to contribute to the consignment system and give your old clothing a new life.
About Plato’s Closet:
Plato’s Closet buys and sells gently used clothing for teens and twenty-something boys and girls. To shop these looks and more, visit the website.
Thanks for tuning in to The Marc and Mandy Show! Leave a comment below, We’d love to hear from you!
Visit for show times and schedules.
Keep in Touch with Us… Everywhere!