Simple Supper to Satisfy Vegetarians and Meat-Lovers
Looking for hearty and filling vegetarian recipes? These easy and cheesy enchiladas are sure to please both vegetarians and meat-lovers. This flavourful recipe also uses fibre-rich black beans which can help lower cholesterol and decrease the risk of heart disease.
Easy Vegetarian Enchiladas
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 3 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp chili powder (more if desired)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 red pepper, sliced
- 546 mL can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 127 mL can diced mild green chilies
- 8 large whole wheat tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese (save 4 tbsp for lunch)
- Cilantro (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Heat saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp oil, then flour. Whisk together until it forms a paste. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and cumin. Slowly add broth, whisking constantly, until smooth.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or slightly thickened. Taste and whisk in up to 2 more tbsp chili powder if desired. Reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, then onion and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add pepper and cook another 3 minutes. Stir in beans and green chilies. Remove from heat.
- Working one at a time, spread about 2 tbsp of sauce on a tortilla. Top with about 2 tbsp cheese and 1/3 cup bean mixture, spread out in a line across the lower half of the tortilla.
- Roll up (no need to tuck in the ends) and place seam side down in prepared dish, tucking the rolls together to make enough space in the dish for all 8 tortillas.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top then sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly at the edges.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Top with cilantro and serve with lime wedges if desired.
Find more vegetarian meal and snack ideas at www.walmart.ca/recipes.