While baking under a hot sun is not the smartest way to give your skin a desirable hue, there are other ways to pay homage to the summer sun; one of which being: spray tan! If you’re planning on getting a tan, check out these seven tips for getting the most mileage possible out of your glow:
- For your first shower after your tanning session, avoid using scalding hot water, which could affect how the tan sticks to your skin. Instead, shower in lukewarm water and opt for naturally-sourced body wash products, staying away from those that advertise a “deep cleanse.”
- Moisturize generously and consistently, before and after you tan. Applying moisturizer after a shower will help create a barrier over top of your skin, effectively locking in the color.
- Stay away from oils, which can cause the tan to slip right off your skin. This includes oil-base makeup, body sprays and perfumes; (which you could try spraying directly onto your clothing, post-tan, rather than your skin).
- Avoid waxing after your spray tan session as the process of waxing tends to remove a thin layer of skin, along with the hair. Shaving is a good alternative.
- Perspiring heavily or exposing the skin to chlorine will most definitely make your tan fade faster – but this doesn’t mean you have to halt your exercise routine. Instead, enlist the help of a good quality tanner, and apply it after your gym session to maintain the color.
- Lightly exfoliating your skin post-tan is necessary, in that it will ensure that the tan fades evenly and your pores remain unclogged. Try a salt or oatmeal scrub, which are easy to make, and are gentle on the skin.
- Drinking plenty of water will prevent your skin from peeling, especially if you plan to spend lots of time in the sun.